In November, KickassTorrents switched to a Somalian (.so) ccTLD from a Tonga (.to) ccTLD. The domain was recently seized by by the .SO registry. Up until now, .SO seemed to be a safe-haven for the site. According to KickassTorrents, they tend to rotate domains on a regular basis.
The site itself has been around since 2008 and is one of the largest torrent sites in existence. Regardless of how you feel about Internet Piracy, you certainly have to give them a little credit for taking preventative measures to keep themselves from getting in trouble. The real question is when the (.to) extension domain will be seized. Where will the infamous torrent site go next?
I wonder if other torrent sites will take similar preventative measure and follow suit?
I ran into a headline which used some of the exact words above a little earlier tonight. Seeing .COM paired with the word saturation really made me want to take a closer look on who published this information. The actual article headline was the following:
VeriSign Earnings Preview: Saturation Of .com And Lack Of Traction For .net Likely Key Issues in the Quarter
The story itself was published by a site called Trefis. The site itself says it was founded by MIT Engineers and former Wall Street analysts who realized that most people do not understand the companies around them. If you ask me, that’s a very broad statement and it sounds a little degrading. It’s not that I don’t like what they are trying to do, it’s the fact that it categorizes the typical person as being out of touch with the businesses that are around them.
To support the headline, they make the case by mentioning the following points:
1. saturation in the .com domain
2. a lack of significant traction in the .net domain
3. intense competition from other gTLDs, especially ccTLDs
These three points are valid, but this really didn’t do much to impact the stock price after Q4 2014 earnings were announced on February 5th. In fact, the title comes off a bit bearish and if you were to simply glance at the article you’d think that the stock might of done the exact opposite.
The investors that made money, were the ones that ignored the negative points of this article. Verisign, Inc. shot up over 5% after the earnings report. The majority of movement can be attributed to the fact that the company posted a 4.2% year-over-year increase in its forth-quarter 2014 revenues.
So much for focusing on the saturation of the .com and the lack of traction on the .net. If Trefis wanted to provide a solid report, they would have researched Verisign a little more and covered the products beyond domains that they offer. I didn’t graduate from MIT, but I do know Verisign is pretty big in the Cybersecurity world and that’s something they certainly should of mentioned.
Congratulation to those of you that own shares of Verisign, it doesn’t look like the momentum will be stopping anytime soon!
I haven’t posted a Sunday Musing since last year. From now on, I am turning my Sunday Musings into a Sunday Funday post. I’m doing this because I feel that it encapsulates the way I think about Sunday and the week that has passed before it. Sunday has always been a fun day for me and has always allowed me to really reflect about all of the things that I was able to accomplish the week before it. Now let’s get right into this shall we!
1. I put my two week notice in on Monday for my current job. For those that don’t know I have been working in the text message aggregation business for almost two years. It’s been fun, but I felt it was time to move on. I was recently hired by an IT / Cyber Security company. I start the third week of February and I can’t wait for my first day of work. This is truly a dream come true for me as I have always wanted to work in this field! I look forward to blogging about my experience there in the future.
2. Although I am starting a new job, I am also starting a new company. More details will be revealed on this in the next few months. I filed my paperwork for this new company on Wednesday. I used Legal Zoom to do it, since it simplifies the process and my girlfriend will be legal counsel for this new endeavor.
3. I acquired some great Los Angeles + keyword domains in this past week. I won’t list them here, as it really doesn’t matter, but I am working on featuring my entire portfolio in a site which caters to the geo / local based niche. I’ve been steadily acquiring LA / Los Angeles + keyword domains for the last couple of years. These are all part of a bigger plan, which has nothing to do with flipping the names. If you or someone you know has Los Angeles or LA + keyword based domains, feel free to contact me. Please keep in mind I am very picky about the names I purchase and I’ll do my best to get back to you whether I like the name(s) or not.
4. I’ve gotten back into coding in PHP in a BIG way. I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. I feel it is important to know at least one coding language as you can better control your Internet destiny by doing so.
5. On Friday night, Dominique and I went to Sugarfish. This was my first time trying the Sugarfish in Marina and I was blown away. The food at this place is amazing. You can check the menu out here.
I’m sure I am missing a number of things which could potentially be added to this list, but I think 5 bullet points are more than enough. Whatever you are doing today, make sure you are having your own Sunday Funday and reflect while doing so!
My GoDaddy Domain Name Aftermarket List 2-19-2015
Tools I Developed
- MarijuanaGuy on My Sunday Funday
- Jason Thompson on Why Can’t The Word Domain, Just Be Used For Domain Names?
- RaTHeaD on Why Can’t The Word Domain, Just Be Used For Domain Names?
- MarijuanaGuy on Poll: Do You Plan On Attending THE Domain Conference?
- Jason Thompson on Poll: Do You Plan On Attending THE Domain Conference?
- Oil-Price.net An OK Domain With Search Appeal 8 comments
- Poll: Do You Plan On Attending THE Domain Conference? 6 comments
- New Section For My GoDaddy Domain Name Aftermarket List! 6 comments
- Poll: Did You Purchase Your Valentine's Day Gift Online? 5 comments
- My Sunday Funday 5 comments